Remembering Richard Burmer in Echoes Podcast

The Imaginary Paradise of Richard Burmer in Echoes Podcast

Burmer-BhaktiOn the 10th anniversary of his death, we remember electronic composer Richard Burmer.  Burmer was among the California electronic scene of the early 1980s that included Steve Roach, Robert Rich and Michael Stearns.  Creating his own instruments through sampling, Burmer composed orchestras of sound that were dynamic, epic and unrelentingly melodic. He died on August 9, 2006. We remember this artist whose music still sounds so true. We hear archival interviews with Burmer, as well as remembrances from musicians Steve Roach, Michael Hoppé, and Hollan Holmes, and  Hearts of Space founder and host, Stephen Hill.

8 comments for “Remembering Richard Burmer in Echoes Podcast

1. September 9, 2016 at 2:47 pm

So glad you are doing a show on Richard Burmer. He was a grand musician and good friend. One of those intense guys that when a subject was found, he would wax on forever. I once painted an entire bedroom while Richard was talking music on the phone. He loved The Moody Blues and was not just skilled compositionally, but in designing wonderful sound images. I still use some of his samples. Owosso Michigan…. tiny town and home of Scott Kinsey and Richard Burmer !! Two musical wonderlings.

• September 11, 2016 at 4:02 am

I was in Tokyo in 1988 , his amazing music was played everyday on JWAVE , It was a tour de force and affected many listeners as “the perfect ambient music” It is sad he reached such highs with his music but such lows in his personal life. I still treasure his CD “Across the view”

2. Patrick Burmer
    September 13, 2016 at 11:47 am

I realized later in life how great it was to hear everything be created in the basement, playing hooky in school to go home and play with the memory moog.

• September 13, 2016 at 12:19 pm

My kids didn’t realize till late how cool it was that people like Richard, Fripp, George Winston and Cluster were coming to our basement.

• Sam Sochet
      February 20, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Richard Burmer is easily one of the greatest visionary musicians of the last 35 years.

3. AP
    September 14, 2016 at 1:31 am

I first heard of Richard Burmer while in jr. high school when Echoes was still playing on the local radio station on the late evening hours. While everyone was listening to pop music, I was elsewhere. I always recall his sound being in that place of wonder, calm and warmth. Nearly twenty five years later and still visiting those places.

4. Sam Sochet
    February 20, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Discovered Richards’ first album on a Sunday Night back in 85. His first album, Mosaic, was the feature album of the night for ‘Innervisions’, the New Age show on KTCL in Fort Collins, Colorado. That album was so far ahead of all the other artists, sorry to say to all the others… I have listened to Mosaic more than any other cd that I’ve owned since then…by far… I believe his music will be listened more intently 200 years from now.

5. Richard Modica
    March 5, 2017 at 2:45 am

Richard left this world much to soon but his music will last forever.